How to get a student visa in America

Most of the students from foreign countries have a dream to study in American universities and colleges. American universities and colleges provide worlds' best education, which is the supreme key to get into a top notch industry in USA and even at home. Since, I came to United States with a student visa and almost completing my CPA here I know the ins and outs of student visa and American education system. I am sure by now you want to know how you can apply to the American universities and get a student visa, also known as F1 Visa.  

The first thing you have to do is Google and look for American universities and colleges in different states. You might ask what do I type in Google? For Example. type "List of Universities in New York". Once you get the list of universities, make sure you go to their official website. Now, how would you know which one is official? Well, all of the American University's websites usually ends with .edu. One you go to the official website look for the following:
  1. Programs that interest you the most
  2. Tuition Fees
  3. TOEFL or IELTS Requirements
Tuition fees varies from universities to universities. Some of the universities don't even require TOEFL or IELTS to apply. If you don't have satisfied TOEFL or IELTS score, you can still apply to US universities. All most all the information should be available on the university website. When you are bored at home watching movies or you can not go outside because of the heavy rain just print an application form from the university website and fill it up. Once you are done filling up the application include the following items:
  1. Application fees (international money order)
  2. Photo copy of your certificates and the marks sheet (official transcripts). If you are interested for bachelor's degree, you have to get high school diploma or certificate. Some countries call them higher secondary certificate which is the same equivalent as high school diploma.
  3. Passport size photo.
Actually, your can find all the requirements and instructions in the application procedure page. Soon you will receive a offer letter from the university, which is also called I-20 in the United States. After you receive the I-20, you have to get ready to stamp a student visa seal on your passport.

Procedure to get visa:
When you are ready to go to your local embassy to get visa, make sure you all of the following items handy:
  1. Get a affidavit of support from your family or relatives who lives in your country or living abroad. Affidavit support is also known as Sponsorship. Suppose your father is giving you the sponsorship to go USA for higher education, you have to provide his job letter, bank statement, property deeds, citizenship record.
  2. Valid passport
  3. I-20 (offer letter from the university)
  4. Passport size photo
  5. All certificates
When you are on the interview with the visa counsellor at the embassy, he/ she will ask you about your interested programs, why you are interested to go to USA for higher education, your father's financial ability to support you and what you will do when you graduate from the American university?

I believe when you come back from the visa interview, you will have a big smile on your face and start packing your books and bags to go your dreamland which is obviously the great United States of America. I will soon post more about how foreign student life in America is all about. 


Post a Comment