Problems Foreign Students Face As Soon As They Start Classes In America

Foreign students with student visas in the United States faces so many problems in America. One of the major problems that they have to face is the language barrier. For example, a student from India with student visa will have a hard time understanding the professors even if he knows English because of the accent differences. Not only that, he will also have problems even expressing himself. Not every foreign students are comfortable talking to the American because of the low self-esteem. But the good news is that this language barrier is temporary and it will get better as you continue to go to classes.

Another problem that most students face is the cost of the books. Foreign students are used to buying books using their own currency but when you buy books in America they are pretty expensive. Now you might think about buying used book but these days professors would like you to buy the latest version every semester. You can use the library books to deal with the book cost but that means you will have to be in the library most of the time since most of the librarian don't allow class textbooks to be rented out. 

Semesters and syllabus system is also different in America, which means you will have to get used to the American education system. 99% of the time your home countries syllabus and semester system wouldn't be same as the American system. So you might struggle in the beginning but it's not that hard to get used to the American system after living here for a bit. The good news is that professors in America are really friendly and they will be helping you as long as you need. Now, the exams systems are also different in USA. Many of you are probably used to lots of board exams in your foreign country but when you come to America, most of the exams are given by your professors. And the good news is that the exam materials are from the lectures. So if you attend the lectures you will be fine. 

I guess these are the most common problems foreign students have to deal with as soon as they start classes in America. If you attend all your classes properly and participate and ask for help, you will be successful. Usually, professors are extremely friend in America and they love it when a student asks for help. Moreover, keep in mind that foreign students are more successful in America because they want to work hard and they are pretty smart compare to the American students.

Which American State is Good For Foreign Student's With Student Visa

Many of you wanted to know once you get your student visa which state you should go to and why? My answer to that question is that, it all depends on you. For example, if you go to New York City, Chicago or Los Angeles you will be able to commute easily since these cities have good train and bus rides. Most of the foreign students with student visa cannot afford to get a car, insurance and then the maintenance of that car, which is why I recommend to stay in big cities because of the better transportation system. If you are to go to New York City, you can ride the entire city with only $5 by using train and bus, which is really cheap compare to states like Florida and most part of the California, where you must have your own car to travel around. Getting a car can be little expensive specially if it is your first time in America. I know most of the foreign students come to United States with limited cash, so my suggestion would be to stay in bigger cities for few months or maybe until you finish your degree. So for transportation big cities are good but what about for living and job?

Most of the big cities are very expensive when it comes to renting a place. Cities like, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles can be very expensive to get a apartment or even a single room. But, if you move to states like Florida, Georgia or any other remote states you can save lots of money since the living expense is less. You can easily rent nice apartments in smaller states and live happily. It is also easy to get jobs easily in remote states since not that many people live there and less competition for the jobs. Both big and small states will give you the same living luxury so it really doesn't matter if you live in a big state or a small state. 

So, if you ask me which state you should go to? I will say if you have money to pay for a car and it's expense then go to a smaller state since you can save lots of money on housing and jobs are easy to get. But if you don't have enough money, go to New York City where you can travel around with public transportation and also get decent jobs. You might also find your home country's people in big cities, who might be able to help you with housing and work. 

How to Get a Job while Studying With Student Visa in United States

Working in the United States with the student visa can be a pain in the neck. You only get limited 20 hours per week to work. But, if you are only here to work then you can actually work off the book and make money. But then again you will have few hours to study. Remember you will have to be a full time students in America with student visa, which means you will be taking minimum 12 credit classes. The amount of school work load will be a lot for you to focus on just work. It's easier if you are from a rich family because then you can simply focus on your studies without working outside.

But, lets just say you are willing to study and work hard to make money. How do you do that? Well, you can work off the book, which means you will be work for cash only. Now, you might ask how do I find a job? You can work in groceries, gas stations or at any convenient stores. Almost, all of the states have groceries and gas stations. There is a lot of them so you will find job easily there. They also pay decent amount of money. And the good news is that most of them pay off the book. So, you can work as long as you want. And if you get a decent boss you will be able to study at work too. Now you might ask, how much will I make from working at a gas station? I will say that depends on your boss but you will make more than $8 per hour. So let's say you work for 40 hours then you will get $320 total. That's actually pretty good for a single person. You will be able to save some of that money. 

How Do Foreign Students Live Permanently in America

When a foreign student enters into the United States as a student, he starts to build a dream in his heart to have a successful career with a respectable position. But after a few days, he realizes that it is really hard to live permanently in the United States with the student visa. Even though, he works hard to achieve the university degree for four years and spend lots of money on the tuition fees and other expenses, he must go back to his native country at the end of the day. But, now I am giving you some tips on how you can live permanently in America without marrying any American citizen or staying illegally.

It is quite easy to get jobs in American companies and firms if you get good scores in the University. If you study in the technical sites like Computer Science, Accounting, Computer Networking, Biomedical science, Dental hygienist, Graphics designing, Finance and Automobile Engineering, getting job will be much easier. Look for companies that will hire you even if you are a foreign student with student visa. Trust me there are companies that loves to take foreign student. In fact, some of these companies will even sponsor you for a longer stay. As soon as you get a job, these employers will apply for the H-1B visa which is a non immigrant visa in the United States. This visa allows you to work in that company legally. When you work for that company for few years, you will get the permanent resident card to live in America permanently. 

How to get a student visa in America

Most of the students from foreign countries have a dream to study in American universities and colleges. American universities and colleges provide worlds' best education, which is the supreme key to get into a top notch industry in USA and even at home. Since, I came to United States with a student visa and almost completing my CPA here I know the ins and outs of student visa and American education system. I am sure by now you want to know how you can apply to the American universities and get a student visa, also known as F1 Visa.  

The first thing you have to do is Google and look for American universities and colleges in different states. You might ask what do I type in Google? For Example. type "List of Universities in New York". Once you get the list of universities, make sure you go to their official website. Now, how would you know which one is official? Well, all of the American University's websites usually ends with .edu. One you go to the official website look for the following:
  1. Programs that interest you the most
  2. Tuition Fees
  3. TOEFL or IELTS Requirements
Tuition fees varies from universities to universities. Some of the universities don't even require TOEFL or IELTS to apply. If you don't have satisfied TOEFL or IELTS score, you can still apply to US universities. All most all the information should be available on the university website. When you are bored at home watching movies or you can not go outside because of the heavy rain just print an application form from the university website and fill it up. Once you are done filling up the application include the following items:
  1. Application fees (international money order)
  2. Photo copy of your certificates and the marks sheet (official transcripts). If you are interested for bachelor's degree, you have to get high school diploma or certificate. Some countries call them higher secondary certificate which is the same equivalent as high school diploma.
  3. Passport size photo.
Actually, your can find all the requirements and instructions in the application procedure page. Soon you will receive a offer letter from the university, which is also called I-20 in the United States. After you receive the I-20, you have to get ready to stamp a student visa seal on your passport.

Procedure to get visa:
When you are ready to go to your local embassy to get visa, make sure you all of the following items handy:
  1. Get a affidavit of support from your family or relatives who lives in your country or living abroad. Affidavit support is also known as Sponsorship. Suppose your father is giving you the sponsorship to go USA for higher education, you have to provide his job letter, bank statement, property deeds, citizenship record.
  2. Valid passport
  3. I-20 (offer letter from the university)
  4. Passport size photo
  5. All certificates
When you are on the interview with the visa counsellor at the embassy, he/ she will ask you about your interested programs, why you are interested to go to USA for higher education, your father's financial ability to support you and what you will do when you graduate from the American university?

I believe when you come back from the visa interview, you will have a big smile on your face and start packing your books and bags to go your dreamland which is obviously the great United States of America. I will soon post more about how foreign student life in America is all about.